The accounting software QuickBooks is in high demand by both small and mid-sized businesses. The software comes with numerous functionalities that prove to be quite a time and money-efficient for business owners. However, users also often face certain issues while working with it. Among them, QuickBooks error 6147 is a prevalent company file error that users face when they try opening a backup file, a corrupt file, or a missing file. The error comes under the category of QuickBooks error -6000 series. This article will tell you all the different ways you can resolve it. However, it's important first to know the causes behind it so you can better understand the solutions.
Why Does QuickBooks Error 6147 Occurs?
QuickBooks error code 6147 occurs when the software cannot recover the backup from the local system. It can occur due to several factors. These factors are listed below.
- A corrupt or damaged company file.
- Damaged QBW.file.
- An error that occurred while a QuickBooks backup file was being restored from a network or external drive.
- The company file gets opened through a deleted mapped drive. The drive can be deleted either by accident or by third-party software.
What are the Signs of QuickBooks Error 6147?
You can notice many symptoms that indicate you of QuickBooks error 6147. They are as follows.
- Encountering an issue when you open your company file.
- Not being able to restore the backup file.
- A problem gets detected, and your device automatically shuts down.
- The window of active program crashes.
What Are the Different Ways to Fix QuickBooks Error 6147?
After knowing all the reasons and symptoms behind QuickBooks error -6147, it's time to understand how you can troubleshoot it. There are various solutions for you to perform. Start from the first solution and then move on to the next one.
1- Run the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
QuickBooks File Doctor tool or QBFD is a very helpful tool that resolves a variety of QB errors. All QB users should install it in their software. You can install the tool from the official website of Intuit. After the installation process finishes, run the tool and let it do its work. After the QBFD process ends, reopen the company file. You should reopen the file even if you notice the File Doctor process is unsuccessful. Do it as follow:
- Go to the official Intuit website and download and install QBFD.
- Run it on the server computer.
- Navigate to the tab of 'Company file issues.'
- Select the 'Run QuickBooks File Doctor' option.
- You will see that the File Doctor automatically opens.
- Follow the instructions on your screen to fix company file problems.
2- Move QB file to a different location.
Follow this step if the previous one does not solve QuickBooks error 6147. Go through the points given below.
- First, see whether the hosting of the system isn't switched on.
- Go to the QuickBooks software. Click the 'File' menu and then select 'Utilities.'
- When you notice the 'Stop hosting multiple-user option, adhere to the steps given below:
- Halt the access of hosting multiple-user.
- Click 'Yes' and let the next window show up.
- Click on 'Yes.' Your company file should be closed.
- Now try to restore the backup file on your system.
3- Utilize the option of Trend Micro Active scan
It is yet another great way to fix this QuickBooks error. Adhere to the instructions given below.
- Search and write your company file location.
- Press CTRL-key. Double-click on the icon of QuickBooks.
- You'll see the company file showing on the top.
- From the list, select the 'Company File.'
- The list of company files that you open will also show the file's location.
- Navigate to the 'Scan' settings. You can find it in 'Trend Micro active scan.'
- Locate the 'File' folder and permit an exception for it.
4- Rename the QuickBooks files
You can rename the.TLG and.ND files. They have configured files that allow you to run the company file without any difficulty in a multi-user mode or a network. Go through the following steps for renaming the file.
a- Launch the folder in which the company file is stored. b- Locate the.TLG and.ND file.
c- Choose the 'File' and right-click on it. Tap 'Rename' and input OLD at its end.
d- Launch QuickBooks and sign in to the company file.
e- Modify the.ADR file name If you find that modifying the names of the files mentioned above does not resolve the QuickBooks error code 6147, modify the name of QuickBooks ADR or Auto data recovery file. Go through the following:
- Navigate to that folder where your company files are stored.
- Locate the.ADR file. Open the.ADR folder. Locate the recent file.
- Right-click on that file and choose 'Rename.'
- Rename it to .qbw.
5- End all QuickBooks processes
Follow this method after the previous one. The steps for it are given below.
- Login to your server system as administrator.
- Hit the keys' Ctrl + Shift + Esc' simultaneously.
- Select the tab of 'Users.'
- Select 'Show the processes.'
- Highlight the QuickBooks processes of QBW32.EXE, qbupdate.exe, QBDBMgr.exe.
- Once you have done it, select 'End Task.'
- For the process to end, always open your company file in multi-user mode.
6- Make use of the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool.
Another great tool that you can use for fixing the damaged company files is QuickBooks install diagnostic tool. The tool is also quite helpful, like the QBFD. You can download it directly or can use it from the QuickBooks Tool Hub. The tool is developed in a manner to troubleshoot all the errors that are associated with QuickBooks installation.
7- Make backup files in another location.
You can make backup files at another location to resolve QuickBooks error -6147. The steps for it are given below.
- Make sure that there is no hosting of the system.
- Tap on the 'File' menu and select 'Utilities.'
- If there is the inclusion of the 'Stop hosting multi-user option, follow the steps below.
- You should stop hosting multi-user access.
- In the window shown, tap 'Yes.'
- Tap on the 'Yes' tab. Ensure that the company file is closed.
- Tap 'Restore the backup file' for finishing the process.
Also Read: How To Fix QuickBooks Error PS077 or PS032?
8- Opt for the rebuild utility
It is yet another method that you can opt for if you are not able to resolve QuickBooks error 6147 0. It includes the following steps.
- Go to the 'File' menu. Here, choose the tab of 'Utilities.'
- Now select 'Rebuild data.'
- Now, choose 'OK' if you receive a prompt for backing up the company file.
- If you observe that the software is showing a message saying 'QuickBooks is not responding,' then click the tab of 'OK.'
Follow the techniques described to fix QuickBooks error 6147 efficiently. Start by using the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool by downloading it from the official Intuit website. You can also use the trend micro active scan option to fix the error. QB Install Diagnostic tool is another great tool for repairing damaged company files. If the error doesn't resolve, contact the QuickBooks support team and get instant help.