QuickBooks is one of the highly effective bookkeeping software, as per the opinions of many business owners. It's quite user-friendly, which helps an average person to use it and manage their financial activities easily. However, technical errors and glitches are common in the software. One of the most prevalent ones is QuickBooks Abort Error. The problem significantly hampers the usual workflow. So, it is necessary to find good fixes for it. In this article, you'll understand the abort error in greater detail. Apart from that, you will also read about the reasons for this problem to arise and its symptoms. Lastly, you'll discover some of the best fixes to eliminate the problem.
What QuickBooks Abort Error Means?
This problem occurs when the user encounters problems in using their company files. You cannot modify anything in the company files and your QuickBooks account. Additionally, you'll notice an error message on the screen stating that the connection to the company file is lost. If you are doing some work when this error arises, it will undo all the changes you may have made. It also damages the QBWUSER.ini file.
Also Read: QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error: A Complete Troubleshooting Guide
What Causes the QuickBooks Abort Error?
There are numerous reasons for you to encounter a QuickBooks web connector error application requested to abort' on your screen. They include the following.
- There are configurations of various QuickBooks versions that are conflicting in a multi-user setup.
- Missing or damaged QBWUSER.ini file. The error can also be a result of damaged Windows or hardware problems.
- An interruption in the data flow among devices that store the files.
- Hibernation or Sleep mode is enabled when the system is saving the company files.
- An antivirus or Firewall application in your system is conflicting with the QB processes. It can result in QB aborting its current task.
- QuickBooks company file is being hosted by numerous systems.
What are the Symptoms of QuickBooks Abort Error?
You can witness various signs, which will allow you to detect the error. Some common symptoms are given below.
- If you are a Windows 8 user, your QB will close.
- The system will crash anytime.
- You'll receive an error message. Along with that, the system will shut down.
- You'll find the Abort error as soon as you open QB. Then, your computer will shut down.
Ways to Fix the QuickBooks Abort Error
By now, you must be familiar with the nature of QB Abort error. It's time to implement the different troubleshooting techniques. But before doing it, check if you have a good network connection. Also, inspect the hosting status in your QB.
Halt the usage of multi-user access.
When you stop hosting the multi-user access, you will find the issue resolved. Open QuickBooks and follow these steps.
- Navigate to 'File' from the menu bar.
- Tap 'Utilities' and choose 'Stop Hosting Multi-User Access.'
- Tick the box that says 'Open a file in multi-user mode.'
- Run QB and see if the issue is there.
Run the QuickBooks diagnostic tool
You can resolve the Abort error easily by downloading and running QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool. First, install the tool, and then follow these points.
- Install the file of the tool. It will be saved on your desktop.
- Double-tap the file and install the program.
- Now run the diagnostic tool. It will repair your software.
- Lastly, restart your computer and open QuickBooks.
Rename the QBWUSER.ini file
This fix is for those who are not able to launch a company file present on the network location. Rename the file by following these steps.
- First, search the folder where the QBWUSER.ini file is present or stored. It will be at \Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks.
- If you cannot locate it, it means that it's hidden. So, to see the file, enable the hidden folders and files.
- Rename the file by right-tapping on it and choosing 'Rename.'
- You can change the file name by adding.OLD at its end. So, the changed name will look like QBWUSER.ini.old.
- Now, modify the name of the .ecml file. It's known as Entitlement Data Store. Change it to Entitlement Data Store. ECML.
- After modifying the names, launch a sample company file. If you cannot open the file, copy and paste it to a different local folder.
Restore QuickBooks from backup
Users can also try creating a backup or rebuild QuickBooks abort error.' The process of QB company file backup restoration is as follows.
- Tap' File' and choose 'Open or Restore Company.'
- Choose the option of 'Restore a backup copy' and tap 'Next.'
- In the next window, choose 'Local Backup' for restoring the company file from the backup that is stored on your network.
- Tap' Next' to continue after you decide between 'Local Backup' and 'Online Backup.'
- To navigate, use the 'Open Backup Copy' dialog box. Then choose the local backup copy.
- Tap 'Open' in the 'Open Backup Copy' dialog box, and go back to the 'Open or Restore Company' window.
- Read the information on the 'Where do you want to restore the file?' screen. Then, tap 'Next.'
- Choose the damaged company file for overwriting the data with the backup copy's data.
- Choose 'Company File' and tap 'Save.'
- In the dialog box that is displayed to overwrite the selected company file, tap 'Yes.'
- Also, input 'Yes' in the text box present within the 'Delete Entire File' window.
- Tap 'OK' to begin the overwriting process.
- To end the restoration process, input the password in its field in the dialog box of 'QuickBooks Login.' Then, tap 'OK.'
- Re-input the transactions into the QB company file from the time the backup copy was made till the present date.
Also Read: How To Record Vendor Refund In QuickBooks Desktop?
Temporarily disable antivirus
Disabling antivirus briefly will also allow you to fix this error. Follow these points to do it.
- Restart your PC.
- Go to 'Control Panel' and disable the antivirus.
- Launch your QB Desktop. You won't see this error message.
Now you won't panic whenever QuickBooks Abort Error flashes on your screen. Although the troubleshooting techniques may seem lengthy, they will help you in fixing the error. But it's also possible for you to directly connect with professional QuickBooks technical support services. They will speedily resolve this problem.